Anbefalet dokumentar 'online' | Joseph Cam~
Fra : Jan Rasmussen

Dato : 16-06-10 16:17

George lucas's læremester Joseph Campbell - The Power of Myth.

http://www.vimeo.com/4824510
The Power of Myth - The Hero's Adventure.

The book you don't read won't help you. These liars are way outside of
Myth: these are the voyages of the AMERICAN dreamers ladies and germs...

The Power of Myth is a book and six part television documentary
originally broadcast on PBS in 1988 as Joseph Campbell and the Power of
Myth.

The documentary comprises six one-hour conversations between mythologist
Joseph Campbell (1904 - 1987) and journalist Bill Moyers.

The interviews in the first 5 episodes were filmed at George Lucas's
Skywalker Ranch in California, with the 6th interview conducted at the
Museum of Natural History in New York, during the final two summers of
Campbell's life (the series was broadcast on television a year after his
death).

In these discussions, Campbell presents his ideas about comparative
mythology and the ongoing role of myth in human society. These talks
include excerpts from Campbell's seminal work The Hero with a Thousand
Faces.

The documentary, Joseph Campbell and the Power of Myth has six episodes:

* Episode 1: The Hero's Adventure (first broadcast 6/21/1988 on PBS)

About Campbell, hero types, hero deeds, Jesus Christ, the Buddha, movie
heroes, Star Wars as a metaphor, an Iroquois story:

~ the refusal of suitors, dragons, dreams and Jungian psychology,
"follow your bliss," consciousness in plants, Gaia, Chartres cathedral,
spirituality vs. economics, emerging myths, "Earthrise" as a symbol ~

* Episode 2: The Message of the Myth (first broadcast 6/22/1988 on PBS)

Creation myths, transcending duality, pairs of opposites, God vs.
Nature, sin, morality, participation in sorrow, the Gospel of Thomas,
Old Time Religion, computers, religion as "software," the story of
Indra: "What a great boy am I!," participation in society

* Episode 3: The First Storytellers (first broadcast 6/23/1988 on PBS)

Animal memories, harmonization with body and life-cycle, consciousness
vs. its vehicle, killing for food, story: "The Buffalo's Wife," buffalo
massacre, initiation ritual, rituals diminishing, crime increasing,
artists, the Shaman, the center of the world

* Episode 4: Sacrifice and Bliss (first broadcast 6/24/1988 on PBS)

Chief Seattle, the sacred Earth, agricultural renewal, human sacrifice,
sacrifice of the Mass, transcendence of death, story: "The Green
Knight," societal dictates vs. following bliss, "hidden hands" guiding
life's work

* Episode 5: Love and the Goddess (first broadcast 6/25/1988 on PBS)

The Troubadours, Eros, romantic love, Tristan, libido vs. credo,
separation from love, Satan, loving your enemy, the Crucifixion as
atonement, virgin birth, the story of Isis, Osiris and Horus, the
Madonna, the Big Bang, the correlation between the earth or mother
Goddess and images of fertility (the sacred feminine).

* Episode 6: Masks of Eternity (first broadcast 6/26/1988 on PBS)

Identifying with the infinite, the circle as a symbol, clowns and masks,
epiphanies and James Joyce, artistic arrest, the monstrous as sublime,
the dance of Shiva, that which is beyond words.

Jan Rasmussen

Fra : Peter Knutsen

Dato : 17-06-10 13:53

On 16/06/2010 17:17, Jan Rasmussen wrote:
> George lucas's læremester Joseph Campbell - The Power of Myth.
[...]

Ja, det påstår Geoge Lucas jo. Der er dog nogle der hævder at Lucas
først er blevet bekendt med Joseph Campbell *efter* at han lavede "A New
Hope".

--
Peter Knutsen

Fra : Jan Rasmussen

Dato : 18-06-10 14:21

"Peter Knutsen" <peter@sagatafl.invalid> skrev i en meddelelse news:4c1a1aae$0$275$14726298@news.sunsite.dk...
> On 16/06/2010 17:17, Jan Rasmussen wrote:
>> George lucas's læremester Joseph Campbell - The Power of Myth.
> [...]
>
> Ja, det påstår Geoge Lucas jo. Der er dog nogle der hævder at Lucas først er blevet bekendt med Joseph
> Campbell *efter* at han lavede "A New Hope".

Tja, det forklare det vel meget godt. Lukas hade skrevet første udkast
til 'Star Wars' før han hade læst Campbell, og fintunede så script'et før
produktionen af filmen startede. Så det kommer vel an på hvad man
ligger i ordet 'lavede' A New Hope

"It was very eerie because in reading The Hero with a Thousand Faces
I began to realize that my first draft of Star Wars was following classic motifs
....so I modified my next draft [of Star Wars] according to what I'd been learning
about classical motifs and made it a little bit more consistent."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Campbell
FILM:
George Lucas was the first Hollywood filmmaker to credit Campbell's
influence. Lucas stated following the release of the first Star Wars
film in 1977 that its story was shaped, in part, by ideas described in
The Hero with a Thousand Faces and other works of Campbell's. The
linkage between Star Wars and Campbell was further reinforced when later
reprints of Campbell's book used the image of Mark Hamill as Luke
Skywalker on the cover.[25] Lucas discusses this influence at great
length in the authorized biography of Joseph Campbell, A Fire in the
Mind:

I [Lucas] came to the conclusion after American Graffiti that what's
valuable for me is to set standards, not to show people the world the
way it is...around the period of this realization...it came to me that
there really was no modern use of mythology...The Western was possibly
the last generically American fairy tale, telling us about our values.
And once the Western disappeared, nothing has ever taken its place. In
literature we were going off into science fiction...so that's when I
started doing more strenuous research on fairy tales, folklore, and
mythology, and I started reading Joe's books. Before that I hadn't read
any of Joe's books...It was very eerie because in reading The Hero with
a Thousand Faces I began to realize that my first draft of Star Wars was
following classic motifs...so I modified my next draft [of Star Wars]
according to what I'd been learning about classical motifs and made it a
little bit more consistent...I went on to read 'The Masks of God' and
many other books.[26]

It was not until after the completion of the original Star Wars trilogy
in 1983, however, that Lucas met Campbell or heard any of his
lectures.[27] The 1988 documentary The Power of Myth was filmed at
Lucas' Skywalker Ranch. During his interviews with Bill Moyers, Campbell
discusses the way in which Lucas used The Hero's Journey in the Star
Wars films (IV, V, and VI) to re-invent the mythology for the
contemporary viewer. Moyers and Lucas filmed an interview 12 years later
in 1999 called the Mythology of Star Wars with George Lucas & Bill
Moyers to further discuss the impact of Campbell's work on Lucas'
films.[28] In addition, the National Air and Space Museum of the
Smithsonian Institution sponsored an exhibit during the late 1990s
called Star Wars: The Magic of Myth, which discussed the ways in which
Campbell's work shaped the Star Wars films.[29] A companion guide of the
same name was published in 1997.

Christopher Vogler, a Hollywood screenwriter, was also highly influenced
by Campbell. He created a 7-page company memo based on Campbell's work,
A Practical Guide to The Hero With a Thousand Faces,[30], which led to
the development of Disney's 1994 film The Lion King. Vogler's memo was
later developed into the late 1990s book The Writer's Journey: Mythic
Structure For Writers.

Many filmmakers of the late twentieth and early twenty-first centuries
have acknowledged the influence of Campbell's work on their own craft.
Among films that many viewers have recognized as closely following the
pattern of the monomyth are The Matrix series, the Batman series and the
Indiana Jones series-not to mention the book-based Harry Potter
series.[31] Of course, the question remains open: Campbell wrote The
Hero with a Thousand Faces describing what he felt to be a universal
story motif. Are the patterns that viewers and critics have noticed
evidence of the filmmakers having read (or been indirectly influenced
by) Campbell's work, or are they simply manifestations of the very
archetypes that Campbell was attempting to study? It is difficult if not
impossible to tell

btw:
Jeg kan også 'anbefale' Joseph Campbell Mythos serie.
http://www.amazon.com/Joseph-Campbell-Mythos-I/dp/B000PUB2AC
http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Joseph-Campbell-Mythos/2908974c1b4b2fc8ee665b938419669d32f3cee6009b

Jan Rasmussen