eComStation Beta 3 frigivet
Fra : Allan

Dato : 15-12-06 04:43

Der er frigivet en version 3a, der kan være på et normalt CD medie,
så kig lige efter det samme sted.

!Warning the ISO file is slightly larger than 700 MB so could run into
trouble on certain CDR media!

This beta offers a number of improvements that we would like to have
tested on a larger number of configurations. These are:

** Preboot harddisk integrity check **
there are a couple of situations that cause installation problems with
LVM later on in the install process.

These will now be detected before the installer starts and an option to
fix them is being presented. If you choose not to fix them, you are not
able to proceed the installation.
This technology uses a custom DFSee 'engine' and should be safe,
however, neither Serenity Systems International nor Fsys can be held
liable for any damages that may occur to the data on your harddrive.

!!! When testing beta software, always be sure to have a tried and
tested backup of your system !!!

** Harddisk volume resizing **

This beta has a custom DFSee engine that enables reliable RESIZING of
FAT32 and NTFS filesystems to allow shrinking an existing Windows
installation to make room for eComStation on the same system.
To use this feature in this beta, you need to select it from the
Maintenance Console (when booted from CD) and select "Resize Disk"
under the "Disk" menu.

The GUI interface of this feature will be updated before the final
release of eComStation 2.0.

** Genmac **

This package provides generic driver support for several network
interface cards under OS/2 and eComStation. Moreover, Genmac is enabled
to support WPA encryption with the Wireless LAN Monitor 3.x or better.

Genmac and the Wireless LAN monitor will be installed when the
appropriate hardware is detected by the installer. If it is not
detected, you can manually select the driver in the network installation
dialog.

Note: only the selected driver will be copied onto your system, in
order to prevent problems with the MPTS installer later on. This may
seem confusing, when you run MPTS in a later stage, it will not show all
Genmac supported NICs.

A full list of supported NIC chipsets can be found in 'WHATSNEW.TXT'

** ACPI & APM **

Support for ACPI is available in this beta. The current version is
2.15. ACPI will be automatically enabled if appropriate hardware is
detected. You can manually enable or disable ACPI support at page 2
(miscellaneous) of the eComStation installer preboot menu. Even if not
installed, the corresponding documents are installed on your harddrive.
You can find detailed information and testdocuments in \ECS\DOC\ACPI and
\ECS\DOC\APM

Several tests can be performed, please refer to \ECS\DOC\ACPI\TESTER.DOC
and \ECS\DOC\APM\TESTER.DOC

** Core Duo CPU support (SMP) **

This beta supports the installation of eComStation on a Core Duo
computer. To enable it, please select the appropriate feature in the
installer 'Select Components' page (only available in Advaned Install
mode). This enables the use of Intel Dualcore, Hyperthreading and
multi-CPU systems. Please note: AMD Dual Core CPU's are currently
unsupported. Also, many drivers are not SMP capable, which may cause
instability or unexpected behaviour on your system.

For more information please refer to \ECS\DOC\ACPI\ACPI_SMP.DOC

** eComStation Virtual File System (Samba client support) **

Serenity Systems International has reached an agreement with Blueprint
Software Works for the inclusion of the 'eComStation Virtual File
System' driver which provides support for Samba Client. Currently a GUI
to configure it is lacking, but an example of how to mount a Samba
resource can be found in \ECS\DOC\EVFS\REXX

** eSchemes **

eSchemes (in this beta we include version 1.37) provides a new way to
configure the look and feel of the desktop. This is considered highly
experimental and as such can only be installed with Advanced
Installation, under "Experimental Features" the option to select is
"Interface customization". Traditional "eStyler" functionality is
lacking, for example the titlebar customization. Feedback on eSchemes
is highly appreciated. You can find documentation on eSchemes in
\ECS\DOC\ESCHEMES\.

Depending feedback of this beta we will decide if eSchemes will be
available in the GA release eComStation 2.0.

== REPORTING ==

To tell us your findings, please create a report at:

http://www.ecomstation.com/support/beta3report/

You are also welcome to join the TestTeam if you want to discuss this
beta and future developments. See http://ewiki.ecomstation.nl/TestTeam
for more details.

The file to download is: ecs20beta3_cd1_en.zip

== REGISTRATION KEY REQUIRED FOR INSTALLING ==

For the time being you can use the eComStation 1.2 (or 1.2R) key to
install this beta release of eComStation 2.0.

Please read the full README document in the root of the CD, or online
at: http://ewiki.ecomstation.nl/ecomstation20beta3

Enjoy!

--
Kind regards / met vriendelijke groet,

Joachim Benjamins

| Mensys BV - eComStation - OS/2 - Linux - Zeta |
| Joachim Benjamins | Email: joachim@mensys.nl |
| Crayenestersingel 65 | Phone: +31-23-5482020 |
| 2012 PG Haarlem | Fax : +31-23-5482030 |
| The Netherlands | www : http://www.mensys.nl/ |

Allan.

It is better to close your mouth, and look like a fool,
than to open it, and remove all doubt.

Fra : Bent Nielsen

Dato : 15-12-06 14:08

Allan wrote:
> [...]
> lacking, for example the titlebar customization. Feedback on eSchemes
> is highly appreciated. You can find documentation on eSchemes in
> \ECS\DOC\ESCHEMES\.
>
> Depending feedback of this beta we will decide if eSchemes will be
> available in the GA release eComStation 2.0.
>
> == REPORTING ==
>
> To tell us your findings, please create a report at:
>
> http://www.ecomstation.com/support/beta3report/
>
> You are also welcome to join the TestTeam if you want to discuss this
> beta and future developments. See http://ewiki.ecomstation.nl/TestTeam
> for more details.
>
> The file to download is: ecs20beta3_cd1_en.zip
>
> == REGISTRATION KEY REQUIRED FOR INSTALLING ==
>
> For the time being you can use the eComStation 1.2 (or 1.2R) key to
> install this beta release of eComStation 2.0.
>

> Please read the full README document in the root of the CD, or online

ja det er en godt nok en gang skrammel de har stykket sammen.

Hvis man ikke har betalt for den i forvejen, så skal man ikke bruge
penge på den efter min mening. Så hellere bruge 1.2r
Selv on de skriver at wifi virker, så er det langt fra rigtigt, selv om
man har de chips på en maskine som de skriver.

Så hvis man køber den, så skal man ikke forvente det virker uden en
videre. Test på de 2 førte maksiner vender jeg tommelfingere ned af.

Kunne ikke install out of the box.

Cdrom iso er for stort og man skal overburn for at kunne bruge det iso
de frigav den 14-12-06

Fra : Kim Ludvigsen

Dato : 15-12-06 15:23

Den 15-12-06 14.08 skrev Bent Nielsen følgende:
> Allan wrote:
>> Der er frigivet en version 3a, der kan være på et normalt CD medie,
>> så kig lige efter det samme sted.

> ja det er en godt nok en gang skrammel de har stykket sammen.

Nu er det jo også kun en beta - husk at give dem en tilbagemelding med
dine erfaringer.

> Cdrom iso er for stort og man skal overburn for at kunne bruge det iso
> de frigav den 14-12-06

Kan man bruge en DVD i stedet?

--
Mvh. Kim Ludvigsen
Økonom Steffen Møller giver et bud på, hvordan internettet vil påvirke

Fra : Allan

Dato : 15-12-06 16:32

On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 14:22:47 UTC, Kim Ludvigsen <usenet@kimludvigsen.dk> wrote:

> Den 15-12-06 14.08 skrev Bent Nielsen følgende:
> > Allan wrote:
> >> Der er frigivet en version 3a, der kan være på et normalt CD medie,
> >> så kig lige efter det samme sted.
>
> Kan man bruge en DVD i stedet?

Som nævnt kan den version 3a de frigav kort tid after godt være på en
normal CD.

Jeg har dog selv brændt den første version på en DVD - og det virker
fint. Flere har osse brændt den første version med "overburn", og dette
har osse virket - men kan være afhængigt af medie, om det lykkedes.

Har man ikke hentet beta'en endnu, kan man jo blot hente 3a versionen,
så er der i hvert fald ingen problemer.

Fra : Bent Nielsen

Dato : 15-12-06 16:37

Kim Ludvigsen wrote:
> Den 15-12-06 14.08 skrev Bent Nielsen følgende:
>
>> Allan wrote:
>>
>>> Der er frigivet en version 3a, der kan være på et normalt CD medie,
>>> så kig lige efter det samme sted.
>

>> ja det er en godt nok en gang skrammel de har stykket sammen.
>

> Nu er det jo også kun en beta - husk at give dem en tilbagemelding med
> dine erfaringer.

Jo, men dem kender de godt, da jeg var hvis var en af de førte som
beklagede mig over det på irc. Så det er nok derfor de har lavet et
andet iso. De har send det på gaden selv om de i forvejen var bekendt
med de at det var i sådan en forfatning. Jeg har ikke undladt at
fortælle det.

At bruge deres bug rapport side er som at snakke til en dør. Det kom
ikke noget som helst feedback, da de testede på 1.2r men hvis du gav lyd
fra dig på irc, så var de pludselig nok aktive.

Jeg ved godt at mit engelsk er meget beskeden, så noget at problmmer kan
have grund i dette, men andre som jeg også bruger lidt tid på at test
for kan fint afkode det. (i den største folder er der 1400 mail
vedrørende mail frem og tilbage i forbindelse af test på et produkt )