SQL
Fra : Carsten

Dato : 22-09-04 08:39

Er der nogle der har prøvet at installerer SQL på en Novell 6 server.
Jeg har fulgt vejledningen. Jeg går ud fra at når jeg har installeret
Nw6Sp5 så er Libc mm opdateret.

Når jeg kører "mysql_install_db" skriver den tilbage

MySQL Server 4.0.21, for pc-netware (i686)

ERROR - The database creation failed!
No such file or directory
See the following log for more infomration:
   /data/MAARUPGAARD.err

I log filen står der imidlertidig ingenting (den er tom)
Jeg er kørt fast Har I nogle gode råd.

Carsten

Installing MySQL on NetWare
---------------------------

Porting MySQL to NetWare was an effort spearheaded by Novell. Novell
customers will be pleased to note that NetWare 6.5 ships with bundled
MySQL binaries, complete with an automatic commercial use license for
all servers running that version of NetWare.

MySQL for NetWare is compiled using a combination of `Metrowerks
CodeWarrior for NetWare' and special cross-compilation versions of the
GNU autotools.

The latest binary packages for NetWare can be obtained at
`http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/'. *Note Getting MySQL::.

In order to host MySQL, the NetWare server must meet these requirements:

* NetWare 6.5 Support Pack 2 installed and updated with the latest
LibC, or NetWare 6.0 with Support Pack 4 installed and updated
with the latest LibC. NetWare 6.5 Support Pack 2 and other
updates are available at
`http://support.novell.com/filefinder/18197/index.html'. NetWare
6.0 Support Pack 4 and other updates are available at
`http://support.novell.com/filefinder/13659/index.html'. The
latest LibC is available at
`http://developer.novell.com/ndk/libc.htm'. Steps to update LibC
can be found here:

`http://developer.novell.com/ndk/doc/libc/index.html?page=/ndk/doc/libc/libc_enu/data/ajjl0r0.html'

* The system must meet Novell's minimum requirements to run the
respective version of NetWare.

* MySQL data, as well as the binaries themselves, must be installed
on an NSS volume; traditional volumes are not supported.

To install MySQL for NetWare, use the following procedure:

1. If you are upgrading from a prior installation, stop the MySQL
server. This is done from the server console, using the following
command:

SERVER: mysqladmin -u root shutdown

2. Log on to the target server from a client machine with access to
the location where you will install MySQL.

3. Extract the binary package Zip file onto the server. Be sure to
allow the paths in the Zip file to be used. It is safe to simply
extract the file to `SYS:\'.

If you are upgrading from a prior installation, you may need to
copy the data directory (for example, `SYS:MYSQL\DATA') now, as
well as `my.cnf', if you have customized it. You can then delete
the old copy of MySQL.

4. You might want to rename the directory to something more
consistent and easy to use. We recommend using `SYS:MYSQL';
examples in this manual use this name to refer to the installation
directory in general.

5. At the server console, add a search path for the directory
containing the MySQL NLMs. For example:

SERVER: SEARCH ADD SYS:MYSQL\BIN

6. Initialize the data directory and the grant tables, if needed, by
executing `mysql_install_db' at the server console.

7. Start the MySQL server using `mysqld_safe' at the server console.

8. To finish the installation, you should also add the following
commands to `autoexec.ncf'. For example, if your MySQL
installation is in `SYS:MYSQL' and you want MySQL to start
automatically, you could add these lines:

#Starts the MySQL 4.0.x database server
SEARCH ADD SYS:MYSQL\BIN
MYSQLD_SAFE

If you are running MySQL on NetWare 6.0, we strongly suggest that
you use the `--skip-external-locking' option on the command line:

#Starts the MySQL 4.0.x database server
SEARCH ADD SYS:MYSQL\BIN
MYSQLD_SAFE --skip-external-locking

It will also be necessary to use `CHECK TABLE' and `REPAIR TABLE'
instead of `myisamchk', because `myisamchk' makes use of external
locking. External locking is known to have problems on NetWare
6.0; the problem has been eliminated in NetWare 6.5.

`mysqld_safe' on NetWare provides a screen presence. When you
unload (shut down) the `mysqld_safe' NLM, the screen does not by
default go away. Instead, it prompts for user input:

*<NLM has terminated; Press any key to close the screen>*

If you want NetWare to close the screen automatically instead, use
the `--autoclose' option to `mysqld_safe'. For example:

#Starts the MySQL 4.0.x database server
SEARCH ADD SYS:MYSQL\BIN
MYSQLD_SAFE --autoclose

9. The latest Netware Perl and PHP modules for MySQL can be
downloaded from `http://developer.novell.com/ndk/perl5.htm' and
`http://developer.novell.com/ndk/php2.htm' respectively.

The behavior of `mysqld_safe' on NetWare is described further in *Note
`mysqld_safe': mysqld_safe.

If there was an existing installation of MySQL on the server, be sure
to check for existing MySQL startup commands in `autoexec.ncf', and
edit or delete them as necessary.

*Note*: The accounts that are listed in the MySQL grant tables
initially have no passwords. After starting the server, you should set
up passwords for them using the instructions in *Note
Post-installation::.

Fra : Jesper Sommer

Dato : 19-10-04 18:51

Overvej at betale lidt håndøre for en Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere
til Novell ... jeg har ikke prøvet den på en 6.x'er men på de tidligere
versioner har jeg været yderst tilfreds. Og Sybase har nogle meget
kompetente folk i deres support afdeling (ikke i DK) som hurtigt kan
hjælpe med problemer.

- Jesper

Fra : Carsten

Dato : 20-10-04 10:14

Jeg har fået MYSQL op at køre, det virker virkeligt fint.
Jeg installerede den i den sti der blev forslået i
vejledningen. Det jeg så mangler at finde ud af er hvorfor det
gik galt da jeg valgte en anden sti.
Databasen kan bruges direkte fra OpenOffice, Delphi mm. hvis man
installerer MyODBC på klienten (3 dll filer).
Jeg kan se at Novell leverer MYSQL med når man køber en 6.5 så det
må være noget de også tror på.

Carsten